This is a trekking of 10 days during which you will discover a mountainous massif still largely unfrequented: the Huayhuash mountain range. Neighboring the White Mountain range, this mountain offers a grand landscape of glaciers and high altitude lakes with magnificent colors. In order to discover all the aspects of this incredible mountain chain, you will do the whole loop. Something that the experienced sportsmen will love!
Afficher Huayhuash sur une carte plus grande
DAY 1: ARRIVAL IN LIMA
Upon your arrival in the airport of Lima, you will be welcomed and transferred to your hotel. You will have the evening free in the dynamic neighborhoods of the Peruvian capital.
DAY 2: LIMA - HUARAZ (3090 m)
You will take a bus to Huaraz. During this day of travelling, you will be able to enjoy the transition between the landscapes of the arid coast of the Pacific and the scenery of the Andes mountain range. On the way, you will stop at Barranca, charming colorful coastal city. When you will arrive in Huaraz, our team will drive you to your hotel and explain the organization of the next few days.
DAY 3: HUARAZ (3090 m) – WILCAHUAIN (3500 m)
This day will allow you to acclimate to the altitude. You will go to the discovery of the archeological site of Wilcahuain, located at the North of Huaraz. From where you are dropped off, you will go to the site walking on chakinanis, paths used by horses. After visiting the site, you will go to the little village of Marian before going back down to Huaraz.
5 hours of walk, +400m / -400m of height difference
DAY 4: HUARAZ (3090 m) – MATACANCHA (4170 m)
You will take the road towards the Huayhuash mountain range. On the way, you will cross the villages of Recuay and Chiquian. From there, you will take a path leading you to the village of Matacancha, where your camp will be set.
DAY 5: MATACANCHA (4170 m) – MITUCOCHA LAKE (4230 m)
After a good breakfast, you will start your trek. You will reach the first pass of the trip, the Cacanan Punta pass (4700m) by which allows you to reach the eastern slopes of the mountain range. Camp is set near the Mitucocha lagoon (4230m).
5 hours of walk, + 530m / - 470m of height difference
DAY 6: MITUCOCHA LAKE (4230 m) – CARHUACOCHA LAKE (4138 m)
The itinerary will take you to the Yananpunta pass (4650m) before your descent to the splendid high altitude lake of Carhuacocha (4138m).
5 hours of walk, +420m / -512m of height difference
DAY 7: CARHUACOCHA LAKE (4138 m) - HUAYHUASH (4490 m)
You will go through high valleys scattered with lakes before climbing up to the Carnicero pass (4600m). From there, you will reach the high mountain pastures of Huayhuash (4490m).
6 hours of walk, + 462m / - 110m of height difference
DAY 8: HUAYHUASH (4490 m) - VICONGA (4407 m)
Your journey continues through the high altitude valleys towards the Portachuelo pass (4750m) from where you will have an unobstructed view of the snowy summits of the “Leon dormido” and of the Raura mountain range. Your camp is set close to the large and beautiful lake of Viconga (4407m). In the afternoon, if you wish, you can walk 30 minutes to the hot springs to swim and relax your muscles.
5 hours of walk, +260m / - 343m of height difference
DAY 9: MATACANCHA (4170 m) – VICONGA (4407 m) – HATUN CUYOC (4492 m)
You will go up by a path in laces towards the Cuyoc pass (5000m) from where you will have the chance to enjoy a magnificent view of the summits of Yerupaja, Carnicero, Rasac and more. You are now entering in the western part of the mountain range. Descent in the quedraba (canyon) of Guanacpatay and set of the camp at Hatun Cuyoc.
5 hours of walk, + 593 m / - 508 m of height difference
DAY 10: HATUN CUYOC (4492 m) – PASO SAN ANTONIO (5050 m) – LAGUNA JURAU (4343 m) – QUEBRADA CALINCA (3700 m) - HUATIAC (4300 m)
Sustained ascent to the highest col of the itinerary, the San Antonio pass at an altitude of 5050m. Here, you will have a splendid view of the glaciers of Rasac, South Yerupaja, Siula and of the high altitude lakes of Sarapococha and Jurau. Then, you will go back down to the Jurau lagoon. From there, you continue your hike to Huayllapa and then go up to Huatiac (4300m) where you will spend the night.
7 hours of walk, + 558m / - 1450m of height difference
DAY 11: HUATIAC (4300 m) – PUNTA TAPUSH (4750 m) - JAHUACOCHA (4050 m)
You will climb up to the Tapush pass, by which you will reach a second pass, the Yaucha Punta col (4847m). The view of the breathtakingly high western face of the Yerupaja is stunning. After some time to rest, you will go down by the side of the mountain to the Jahuacoha Lake where your camp is set.
7 hours of walk, + 450m / - 700m of height difference
DAY 12: JAHUACOCHA LAKE (4050 m) – CHIQUIAN (3350 m) – HUARAZ (3090 m)
Climb up to the Macrash Punta col (4272 m). A beautiful path on the side of the mountain will take you to Llamac (3250m). Transfer to Chiquian, and then to Huaraz.
5 hours of walk, + 222m / - 1022m of height difference
DAY 13: HUARAZ (3090m) – LIMA
You are transferred to the bus station to take your bus to Lima. The road comes down the mountains to sea level, before running by the Pacific Ocean until the capital. Upon your arrival, you will be transferred to your hotel.
DAY 14: LIMA – INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT
You will have the day to visit the Peruvian capital. In the afternoon, transfer to the airport to take your international flight.
END OF OUR SERVICES
THE PRICE INCLUDES:
- Accommodation in camping and in hotels in Lima and Huaraz
- The meals during the treks and those mentioned as “included”
- Private and group ground transportation
- The guide, mule-drivers and chef during the treks
- The entrances to the park
- The group logistic: tents, mattresses, food, pack animals…
THE PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- International flights
- Lunches and dinners not mentioned in the program (expect 5 to 10 USD per meal)
- Tips (2 USD/day/person for the guide and 1 USD/day/person for the carriers, mule-drivers, chefs)
- Personal trekking equipment: sleeping bag (possibility to rent one of the spot)
- The single supplement (depending on the number of nights and the hotel quality)
You will be accompanied by a local private English speaking guide at every leg of the journey. This means you will have a different guide for each region you will visit, depending on their specialization. The level of English of the guides varies from one region to another.
A few exceptions:
- For the Puno – Cusco trip, you will travel in a group touristic bus with an English / Spanish guide
- The trips in public transports (buses, shuttles, trains and internal flights) are not escorted.
In Peru, the hotel standards are different to what you may be accustomed to. Here are a few useful details on every type of accommodation:
- Camp: thanks to the perfect organization of our cook(s) and muleteer(s), you could really rest after a good day of walking. We have a tent for the kitchen, another one for to take the meals, another one for the bathrooms. For two persons, you will have a 3 places tent for more comfort. We also supply you a comfortable mattress and a basin of hot water at the beginning and at the end of the day for your toilet; and of course we prepare you warm and complete meals.
- Homestay accommodation: Basic comfort, communal toilets, no hot water and sometimes no running water, simple but clean rooms, sometimes no electricity and the doors do not lock (however, there are no security problems).
- 2** and 3*** hotels (local standards): comfortable rooms, simple and clean, private bathroom with hot water; some hotels offer rooms equipped with a safe, heating system, mini bar, …
As far as our possibilities, we choose hotels whose geographical location will allow you to fully enjoy the town and its attractions.
In order to allow you more freedom during your trip, only a few meals are included in our programs: these are the meals during the treks (cold at noon and hot in the evening) and during certain excursions when the conditions make it necessary (on the Puno-Cusco road, in the Sacred Valley, etc).
For the non-included meals, expect 5 to 10 USD per person. This allows you to choose the time, place and menu according to your desires!
Most of the time of your trip, your travels will take place in private vehicles: you will have at your service a private vehicle with a Spanish speaking driver who will adapt to your rhythm (photo stop, shopping, etc. …).
- For the Puno – Cusco / Chivay – Puno and Arequipa – Puno trips, you will travel in a group touristic bus that will make several stops and visits on the way.